Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney Houston: Forever An Icon

I am very saddened at the news of the tragic loss of a musical icon today. She has made history with her voice and her work in the entertainment industry. I think the first time I heard her, I didn't understand what all the big fuss was about. I was about 12 and wasn't really singing yet (well, not seriously). Until I heard one of the most intriguing songs I had ever heard. It showcased her voice so well that I had to hear it over and over again. Even to this day, anytime I hear "I Will Always Love You" I am drawn to a place I never thought music could take me. Since then, I have been and will forever be a fan. I love how down to earth she was. I also appreciate her closeness to my other favorite singer, Brandy.

Whitney has influenced my singing as well with her ability to take a song and not be confined to what's expected. Sure, she has had some down moments. But who hasn't. She has been a woman to stand by her husband, protect her family and did her best to protect her career. I remember one day, I was listening to WBLS New York with Wendy Williams. Whitney called in and confronted Wendy on the air without losing too much respect for herself. It was so funny and even though she was coming across strong, she was still classy.

I'm sending prayers up for the family. In particular for Bobbi Kristina, Bobby Brown, Ms. Cissy Houston and those who were closest to her.

Whitney, we will always love you and we'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or a question or just say hi. Also, connect with me at www.reverbnation.com/marcusdyson Thanks for stopping by! God bless.